The Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery (NPG) on saturday hosted the 2022 Portrait of a Nation Award, honoring individuals for their wide-ranging transformative contributions to the United States and its people.
According to NPG, there were also six newly commissioned portraits on display,and one never-before-seen photograph by contemporary artists Ruven Afanador (Edelman), Hugo Crosthwaite (Fauci), Kenturah Davis (DuVernay), David Hockney (Davis), Kadir Nelson (Andrés), Toyin Ojih Odutola (S. Williams) and Robert Pruitt (V. Williams).
Here are the honorees:
- Anthony S. Fauci, M.D., director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) at the National Institutes of Health and chief of the NIAID Laboratory of Immunoregulation, chief medical advisor to the President and advisor on global AIDS issues and COVID-19
- Ava DuVernay, Academy Award nominee and Emmy-, BAFTA- and Peabody Award-winning filmmaker and founder of ARRAY
- Serena Williams, tennis champion, winner of 23 Grand Slam titles and entrepreneur
- Venus Williams, tennis champion, winner of seven Grand Slam titles, entrepreneur and outspoken advocate on equal pay, mental health and physical wellness.
- Clive Davis,Grammy Award-winning music industry executive and member of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
- José Andrés, internationally recognized humanitarian, culinary innovator, New York Times bestselling author, educator and founder of World Central Kitchen
ChooseDC wishes to congratulate all the honorees on this great milestone.
Courtesy – National Potrait Gallery