By National Park Service
The National Park Service is making improvements to roads, multi-use trails and crosswalks around the National Mall. The work will improve accessibility and safety and help the NPS implement our paved trails plan by making new connections and enhancing existing pedestrian and bicycle travel routes as follows:
1.5 miles of multi-use trails
- Rock Creek Trail next to the Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway between Virginia Avenue NW and Parkway Drive NW.
- We are increasing this trail’s width from 8-10 feet to 10-14 feet.
- West Potomac Park multi-use trail next to Ohio Drive SW between Independence Avenue SW and Inlet Bridge (Geroge Mason Memorial).
- A new, dedicated pedestrian and bicyclist tunnel through the Theodore Roosevelt (I-66) Bridge.
The National Park Service will also partner with the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) to construct:
2 completely new crosswalks
- Crossing Independence Avenue SW between the Martin Luther King Junior and DC War Memorials.
- Crossing Constitution Avenue NW at 18th Street NW.
An extension of the 15th Street Cycletrack between Pennsylvania Avenue NW and East Basin Drive SW
Photo Courtesy – National Parks Service